I’m studying for my English class and need an explanation.
“Against School,” by John Taylor Gotto
Part One: Introduction
- Read the introduction to the education unit in Rereading America found on pages 108-114. What is your initial reaction to the question posed on page 112 by the authors of Rereading America: “Does education empower [the student], or does it stifle personal growth?” Jot down a few thoughts.
Part Two: Journaling (Please choose one prompt for your response.)
- Please spend 15-20 minutes freewriting about your best and worst educational experiences.
- Page 107 in Rereading America provides a picture of first grader’s reciting The Pledge of Allegiance. In your opinion, what does this photo suggest about the role of education in American society?How realistic is this depiction of public schooling?
Part Three:Analysis Directions:
- Vocabulary: write any words that you don’t know. Look them up if you can’t figure out meaning from context.
- Mark and annotate or write: Make a note in the in separate paper of any ideas this article inspires; mark important points (underline, highlight, or annotate). Be sure to “talk to the text.” Identify something interesting to talk about!
- Golden line: In the blank space below, copy your favorite phrase or line from the text.
- Main idea: What is the main point of this article? In the blank space below, write a one- or two-sentence summary in your own words. Do not write more than two sentences.
Part Four:Responding to Textbook Questions
- Briefly respond to questions 2, 3 and 5 on page 122.
Park five: discus write 6-9 line
Please share an insight that you gleaned from the article “Against School.” How do the concepts in the article relate to your personal experiences?