You are to preparing for a challenging City Council Meeting. You need to be able to give the other council members and mayor an accurate â€œcity of affairsâ€ to make sure significant cuts can be made in the appropriate areas, and other critical areas can continue to be funded. Using your local cities 2015-2016 budgets, analyze the financial plan to respond to the following questions in a two- to three-page paper:
- Based on the review of your cityâ€™s Financial Plan: What is the fastest-growing category of expenditures during the planning period? Justify the answer with examples.
- What percentage of your cityâ€™s revenue comes from the general property tax? How much is this tax growing in each year of the financial plan? Justify the answer with examples.
- Evaluate the existing capacity of refunding or reorganizing existing debt organizations.
- Analyze the various funding alternatives that can be used to support debt obligations.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Include an abstract and conclusion that you will name (Budget Summary), and attach the budget summary as an Appendix.
- Include the URL of the location of your cityâ€™s financial plan and any other documentation you used for your budget summary.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the basic skills and tools needed for budgeting for public sector agencies and / or departments.
- Recommend appropriate policy actions based on the evaluation.
- Evaluate a budgeting system at any governmental level.
- Analyze the scope and sequence of budgeting in terms of sources of revenues, purpose of government expenditures, budget cycles, budget preparation, and debt administration.
- Analyze the steps required for budgeting, such as preparing a budget, making a financial plan, conducting a cost-benefit analysis, and making budget decisions.
- Examine the key components for presenting and justifying the budget to decision makers.
- Prepare a preliminary budgeting system for presentation before Congress, state / local government, or other organization.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in public budgeting and finance.
- Write clearly and concisely about public budgeting and finance using proper writing mechanics.