Final Exam (music)
Due Date: The Final is due at 7 pm on Wednesday, May 9. You may submit it
at any time before this date as well. (Total of 500 words)
* The Final Exam will consist of your written responses to the questions below.
* You may use any online, print, or other sources while you write your responses.
Please cite your sources, either as a works cited list, or as in-text citations in
parenthesis. No need to cite the readings listed here (you can just refer to it as “the
reading” for example).
The Exam: Describe music and culture in various types of music.
* For each of your three responses, write a paragraph (about 100-175 words). You
will write about any two of the five examples that I have given, and also one
example of your own choice.
* In each paragraph response, try to answer all of these questions:
1. What are some important musical characteristics of music in this area,
and/or who is this individual performer?
2. Hcan you describe the sounds? Listen to the music, and write about it in your
own words. If applicable, what are the lyrics about?
3. If applicable, what do you know about this music from experiences with your
family, community, or personal life?
* Your responses should be organized into paragraphs, one for each example that you
Complete both parts 1 and 2:
1) Select and write about any two of these five musical examples:
Example 1 — Bianzhong (ancient bell-chime) music from China
video: “Bianzhong Concert at Hubei Museum”
Example 2 — Native American Hip Hop music
video: “Rez Life – Blue Flamez”
Example 3 — West African / European fusion music video
video: “FOLI (there is no movement without rhythm)”
Example 4 — Minimalism from United States 1970s
video: “Sextet, by Steve Reich”
2) In addition, write about one other example:
Example 5 — Your choice!
Select any song or piece of music you wish, and write about it according
to the guidelines below. No need to find a reading to go with it.
* For part 2 in which you pick your own song, please include a link (to YouTube,
Vimeo, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, etc.), so that I may listen to it. Thanks.